Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Dining Out in Boston - FoMu



Cookies & Cream Pint & Carrot Cake Ice Cream - FoMu

I scream, you scream, we all scream for vegan ice cream! Okay, maybe only a few of us do, but I'm one of them and I was so happy when FoMu* opened up in Allston earlier this year. Prior to becoming vegan I was a huge fan of the frozen yogurt (fro-yo) shops that were popping up on every street in Boston. Once dairy was out of my life so were my options for a convenient, tasty cold treat. So I thought. Thanks to FoMu I have easy access to some delicious dairy-free ice cream flavors (which is certainly dangerous). 

On my first trip to the ice cream shop, located right next to Deep Ellum in Allston, I got the cake batter flavor and my boyfriend got the cookies 'n' cream. At the time all the ice creams were coconut milk-based. We both really enjoyed it and it was definitely comparable to real ice cream, but you could taste the subtle coconut base. The second time I went back and ordered a mocha bean smoothie with almond milk (made with espresso and chocolate ice creams. I would really call this a milkshake). It was creamy and yummy, but the guilt factor set in quickly because the large portion certainly wasn't "healthy". The third time, at the end of October, was the best, with fall flavors on the menu and newly added nut-based ice creams. I got the carrot cake ice cream and it was unbelievable. I got worried that it wasn't vegan because of how rich and delicious it was (I should know better by now...). There were generous chunks of actual spiced carrot cake in it. I inhaled my serving. 

I highly recommend FoMu. The owner and his staff are friendly and helpful. It's great to see that they've been revamping the menu options as they gain popularity. They even sell a few baked goods from nearby vegan bakeries like Veggie Galaxy and Sabortooth Bakery.

*Before the shop opened I heard it was going to be called NoMu ("no moo") but when I chatted with the owner he said there was a last minute issue with the trademark. Faux moo is still cute though!

FoMu
481 Cambridge St.
Allston, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!