Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Dining In - Chalupas & Salsa

Chalupas & Salsa - Engine 2 Diet

I first heard about the Engine 2 Diet when I watched the documentary Forks Over Knives (which I credit for opening my mind about nutrition and turning me into a vegan). I looked up a couple of recipes online and I gave this one a try for a quick dinner. Just a few ingredients and you have a very filling, flavorful meal. My non-vegan boyfriend really liked it and eventually I made this for his family. They thought it was delicious, too! It's perfect all year-round, but works particularly well in the summer. Find more recipes at Engine2.com.

6 corn tortillas (Trader Joe's, labeled vegan)
1 can fat-free refried beans (also available at Trader Joe's)
12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 jalapeno, diced
1 avocado, sliced
2 cups shredded romaine
1/2 bunch cilantro
Salsa

Preheat oven on broil setting. Place the tortillas on a lightly greased baking sheet, broil for 2 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 1-2 minutes. 

Spread refried beans on tortillas, lay down tomato halves (I love tomatoes so I try to fit 6 on each tortilla). Sprinkle diced jalapeƱo on top. Broil for 5-7 minutes, remove when tomatoes look wrinkled.

Lay avocado slices on cooked chalupas. Top with lettuce, pour on salsa, and then sprinkle on cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!